Martin, Chris “The Chainsmokers on Ruling the Billboard Hot 100 & Owning the ‘Frat Bro’ Label.” Billlboard.com. 16 Sept. 2016. Web. 27 March. 2017
The Chainsmokers, interviewed by DJTV, New York City, 5 Feb. 2014.
The Chainsmokers are a duo of 20 somethings that have taken the pop music world by storm. With their hit song “Closer” running on the top of the charts for twelve weeks. They describe their music as dance house, but more of a personal experience with the vocals so that they interact with the audience. According to their interview with Billboard.com the song “Closer” was actually Drew Taggart singing about an ex of his, this is an extremely relate-able experience for many people which could lead to its popularity. The beat for the song, according to co-writer Shaun Frank, was made in 30 minutes in the studio which gives a very personal appeal because the beat is more authentic then one that has been tinkered with for months and months. Both of these elements have rocketed The Chainsmokers to international stardom.
Song: “Closer” by The Chainsmokers
- The Chainsmokers are two guys in their mid twenties who live in NYC. They take most of their inspiration from past experiences which enables them to relate to their audience
- I first heard this song on the radio on KROC on the way to school and within a couple of days it was everywhere and I had it memorized in a week. I had originally heard of The Chainsmokers with their song “New York City” which I really enjoyed. I liked The Chainsmokers before it was cool!!
- Their music, specifically this song, is about life and how experiences shape us and they use their music to communicate this. The Chainsmokers seem to write mostly about breakups or bad experiences with relationships. “Closer” describes how a lover realized he was better off without the other but continued to do nothing to change it. Their more recent song “Paris” talks about how one part of a couple “don’t think that we could work this out” but stays and goes on to say “If we go down, then we go down together.”
- This song appeals to so many people because it plays toward a universal concept of Love and how it’s messy and hard and isn’t always the best. This is something that will always be around and relatable to by a large part of the population.
- “Closer” can be made to tell a story as it describes a relationship, but also as just a commentary on love.
- Who do you credit as your biggest inspiration? Why?
- When did you realize you had made a mega-hit song?
- How has your life changed since your song became so big? Do you enjoy the change?
- With all of these big names wanting to collaborate with you how do you keep your music your own?
- What are your goals for music making in the future?